Vitamin C is a brilliant nutrient that plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy-looking skin. This powerful antioxidant has been shown to protect the skin from damage caused by environmental factors, such as UV rays and pollution, and can improve the overall appearance of your skin by reducing the signs of ageing and promoting collagen production.
That’s why, if vitamin C doesn’t already play a part in your skincare routine, it’s time you introduced it. And the great news is that it can be found in loads of fantastic products, many of which contain other powerful ingredients.
In this article, we discuss the benefits of vitamin C for your skin, how to use it, and recommend some of the best products containing vitamin C.
Vitamin C benefits for skin
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that offers numerous benefits to the skin, including:
- Protects the skin from sun damage - can reduce the damage caused by UV rays on the skin, which helps to prevent the development of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots
- Combats acne and rosacea - has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to reduce the redness and inflammation associated with skin conditions such as acne and rosacea
- Promotes collagen production - vitamin C has been shown to promote the production of collagen - a protein that helps to keep the skin firm and elastic - which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Brightens the skin - inhibits the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for dark spots and uneven skin tone, which brightens the skin and evens out its tone
- Improves skin texture - helps to improve the texture of the skin by promoting cell turnover and exfoliation, which reduces the appearance of dull, rough, or uneven skin
How to use vitamin C serum
To get the most benefit from a vitamin C serum, it is important to use it correctly. Here are some steps to follow when using a vitamin C serum:
- Cleanse your skin - start by cleansing your skin with a gentle cleanser to remove any dirt, oil, or makeup
- Apply the serum - take a small amount of vitamin C serum ( a few drops) and apply it evenly to your face and neck. Use your fingertips to gently massage the serum into your skin in circular motions. Avoid pulling or tugging at your skin
- Allow the serum to absorb - let the serum absorb into your skin for a few minutes before applying any other products, such as a moisturiser or suncream
How often to use vitamin C serum
How often you should use a vitamin C serum depends on your skin type and the strength of the serum. For most people, using a vitamin C serum once a day, in the morning or evening, is enough, though if you have oily or acne-prone skin, you may be able to use a vitamin C serum twice a day.
Remember that vitamin C can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so it's important to follow up with a broad-spectrum suncream with an SPF of at least 30 during the day, even if you plan on staying indoors.
As always, it's best to follow the instructions on the product label and to start with a lower frequency and increase gradually if needed to avoid any potential irritation.
Best vitamin C products
The following products are excellent sources of Vitamin C and are all available to buy from the re:lax Skin Store. They can be used separately or in combination with each other for an even more powerful effect.
Orgaid Vitamin C & Revitalising Sheet Mask
Orgaid believes in green, natural, non-toxic skincare. This sheet mask is a great source of organic vitamin C and has been formulated with Ecoderma fabric technology, which helps the serum absorb deeper into the skin. It also contains hyaluronic acid, lemon, pomegranate, lavender, and rosehip, to hydrate, soothe and protect.
Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum
Mad Hippie’s award winning Vitamin C serum combines antioxidants, acids and protective konjac root and chamomile extract. It skins into your skin to leave it soft and glowing, and works wonders on ageing, sun-damaged and acne-prone skin. Can be used after your morning or evening cleanse.
Mad Hippie Triple C Night Cream
This potent cream packs in three forms of Vitamin C, as well as antioxidants and adaptogens. Just massage gently into your skin in the evenings to achieve brighter, healthier, smoother skin. It can be used with the Mad Hippie Vitamin C and Vitamin A Serum or AHA Exfoliating Peel.
Skin and Tonic Inner Glow
Skin and Tonic’s glowing golden oil combines Vitamin C with rosehip oils and pumpkin seed oil, which revitalises and rejuvenates your skin. Use after your cleanser, toner and serum to stimulate skin cell regeneration and to give you a healthy, brighter, youthful complexion.